Laura Valentina Socco
Laura Valentina Socco is an associate professor in Applied Geophysics and Head of the Geophysics Lab at Politecnico di Torino (Technical University of Turin).
Dr Socco works on developing geophysical techniques for near surface investigation in applications ranging from, seismic hazard and engineering, to hydrocarbon exploration, environment and cultural heritage. In the last fifteen years, she has focused her research work on surveying techniques based on the propagation of seismic surface waves for the seismic and geotechnical site characterisation. More recently she has focused on geophysical data integration techniques.
Dr Socco is author of more than 110 scientific publications in peer reviewed journals and conferences. Personal impact factors h and g are equal to 18 and 33, respectively, with more than 1560 total citations (source Google Scholar). She has been member of Research Committee and Education Committee of EAGE and DL Committee of SEG and she has been vice-chairperson and chair-person of the Near Surface Division Committee of EAGE and member of EAGE Board (2014-16). She is Editor of “Geophysics” and she has been Assistent and Associate Editor of “Geophysics” and "Near Surface Geophysics". She has been Convener of several international workshops.
In 2013 Dr Socco has been chosen as Honorary Lecturer by the SEG.
Honors and Awards
- Honorable Mention in the category Best Paper in Geophysics -2012 with Paolo Bergamo and Daniele Boiero, for their paper Retrieving 2D structures from surface-wave data by means of space-varying spatial windowing.
- Honorable Mention in the category Best Paper in Geophysics -2011 Paolo Bergamo Margherita Maraschini, Daniele Boiero, and Sebastiano Foti, for their paper Scale properties of the seismic wavefield perspectives for full-waveform matching.
- Honorable Mention in the category Best Paper in Geophysics -2016 Paolo Bergamo for their paper P- and S-wave velocity models of shallow dry sand formations from surface wave multimodal inversion
- Conrad Schlumberger Award 2014 (EAGE)
- Paolo Bergamo, Daniele Boiero, and Laura Valentina Socco (2012). ”Retrieving 2D structures from surface-wave data by means of space-varying spatial windowing.” GEOPHYSICS, 77(4), EN39-EN51. http://dx.doi.org/10.1190/geo2012-0031.1
- Margherita Maraschini, Daniele Boiero, Sebastiano Foti, and Laura Valentina Socco (2011). "Scale properties of the seismic wavefield perspectives for full-waveform matching." GEOPHYSICS, 76(5), A37-A44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1190/geo2010-0213.1