Honors and awards
One of SEG's great traditions is the special recognition of individuals and organizations for their contributions to geophysics and to the Society. The Honors and Awards Committee annually solicits nominations for deserving recipients to be honored at the SEG Annual Meeting.
In order to guarantee that all deserving individuals and organizations receive consideration for appropriate recognition all nominations must be received by 1 January to allow the Honors and Awards Committee enough time for appropriate investigation, deliberation, and recommendations to the SEG Board of Directors.
Nominations should be emailed to: [email protected]. In your nomination, please include a brief summary describing the specific achievement or contribution that you think merits formal recognition by SEG. Supporting information and letters of recommendation are very useful to the committee. Your timely input is vital to this important function of the SEG. If you have any questions, please send them via email. Thank you very much for your assistance in making SEG's Honors and Awards Program a meaningful and representative activity of the Society.
Established Awards of the Society
- The Maurice Ewing Gold Medal
- Honorary Membership
- Virgil Kauffman Gold Medal Award
- Cecil Green Enterprise Award
- Reginald Fessenden Award (formerly Medal Award)
- J. Clarence Karcher Award
- Distinguished Achievement Award
- Life Membership Award
- Special Commendation
- Outstanding Educator Award
- Craig J. Beasley Award for Social Contribution
Established in 2008, the SEG Presidential Award is not part of the collection regularly given at the Honors and Awards Ceremony but is bestowed at the discretion of the SEG president to an individual who is recognized as having contributed outstanding service to the Society.
The Leading Edge
- Best Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting
- Honorable Mentions (Best Paper, Annual Meeting)
- Best Poster Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting
- Honorable Mentions (Best Poster Paper, Annual Meeting)
- Best Paper Presented by a Student at the Annual Meeting
- Awards of Merit (Best Student Paper, Annual Meeting)
- Best Poster Paper Presented by a Student at the Annual Meeting
- Awards of Merit (Best Student Poster Paper, Annual Meeting)