Xinming received an engineering degree (2009) in Geophysics from Central South University, an M.Sc. (2012) in Geophysics from Tongji University, and a Ph.D. (2016) in Geophysics from the Colorado School of Mines where he was a member working with Dr. Dave Hale at the Center for Wave Phenomena. He interned twice at Transform Software and Services/DrillingInfo during the summer and winter of 2014. Xinming was a postdoctoral fellow working with Dr. Sergey Fomel at BEG, UT Austin from 2016 to 2019. 
He received the SEG's awards for:
- Best Paper in Geophysics with Dave Hale in 2016 (3D seismic image processing for faults),
- Best Student Poster Paper with Sean Bader and Sergey Fomel in 2017 (Missing log interpolation and seismic well ties),
- Honorable Mention for Best Paper presented at the 2018 SEG Annual Convention with Sergey Fomel in 2018 (Least-squares horizons),
- J. Clarence Karcher Award, 2020.
He also received the Shanghai excellent master thesis award in 2013 (Generating 3D seismic Wheeler volumes: methods and applications).
Xinming writes a lot of Java packages  for his research on seismic structural and stratigraphic interpretation, deep learning (e.g., FaultSeg), subsurface modeling, joint seismic and well-log interpretation, and geophysical inversion with geologic constraints.
Xinming Wu shares the 2017 Best Poster Paper Presented by a Student at the Annual Meeting with Sean Bader and Dr. Sergey Fomel.
Xinming Wu shares his research work on deep learning for geophysical data processing, inversion, and interpretation during the lecture tour.
- Xinming Wu: while @ CIG, USTC
- Xinming Wu: while @ BEG, UT Austin
- Xinming Wu: SEG Honorary Lecturer
- Wu, X. and Hale, D., 2016, 3D seismic image processing for faults: Geophysics, 81, no. 2, IM1-IM11.
- Bader, S., X. Wu, and S. Fomel, 2017, Semiautomatic seismic well ties and log data interpolation
- Tongji University notification, 2013.
- Xinming's GitHub account
- Whaley, J., 2017, Oil in the Heart of South America, https://www.geoexpro.com/articles/2017/10/oil-in-the-heart-of-south-america], accessed November 15, 2021.
- Wiens, F., 1995, Phanerozoic Tectonics and Sedimentation of The Chaco Basin, Paraguay. Its Hydrocarbon Potential: Geoconsultores, 2-27, accessed November 15, 2021; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281348744_Phanerozoic_tectonics_and_sedimentation_in_the_Chaco_Basin_of_Paraguay_with_comments_on_hydrocarbon_potential
- Alfredo, Carlos, and Clebsch Kuhn. “The Geological Evolution of the Paraguayan Chaco.” TTU DSpace Home. Texas Tech University, August 1, 1991. https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/handle/2346/9214?show=full.