SEG Women's Network
The SEG Women’s Network is supported by the activities of the SEG Women’s Network Committee. The SEG Women’s Network Committee (WNC) was created in March 2011, and works to raise awareness of and find solutions for the challenges women encounter in the field of applied geophysics.
The mission of the WNC is to:
- promote greater participation and leadership by women in geophysics worldwide,
- create a community for mutual support among female SEG members,
- enhance recruiting and retention of women in the profession and mentoring of students and young professionals, and
- elevate awareness of the value that a diverse workforce brings to the profession.
The network's online community as well as gatherings at the annual and regional meetings will help establish these connections for support, collaboration and mentoring. We also collaborate with the American Geophysical Union (AGU), American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG), Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) and the Association of Women Geoscientists (AWG).
The WNC is actively soliciting mentors as well as new passionate and committed members to represent global regions such as South America, Europe/Middle East, Africa and Asia-Pacific.
- Chair: Maria Angela Capello (2017-18)
- Secretary: Blair Schneider
- Staff Liaison: Shelly Jo Oakley
- SEG Board Liaison: Madeline Lee
- Past Chairs: Maitri Erwin (2015-17) Maria Angela Capello (2013-15), Nancy House (2012-13), Eve Sprunt (2011-12)
- Mentoring365 - joint project with AGU and other Earth science organizations. MENTORS NEEDED!
- Anti-Harassment Policy for SEG meetings and activities | Harassment Reporting Form
- Honors and Awards: SEG Outstanding Educator Award
- Publication: Full Spectrum column in The Leading Edge, a column designed to be a commentary on women's career topics.
Note: Times listed are in US Central time zone
- The WNC will offer a record number of events at the 2017 SEG annual meeting in Houston! This year's theme is Giving Back, Giving Forward, reflecting the Women's Network's commitment to mentoring at all levels and service to the society and applied geophysical community.
- Special Technical Session: Near Surface Geophysical Methods for Archaeological Research, sponsored by the WNC | Sunday 24 September | 13:30-17:10 | George R. Brown convention Center, Room 360C | This session is designed to bring papers on various methods as well as case studies on geophysical delineation and exploration of archaeological sites and culturally significant finds. Both land and marine geophysical methods will be highlighted.
- SEG Student and Women’s Network Committee Mentor Meetup (formerly known as the Student Networking Event) | Monday 25 September | 16:00-17:30 | Hilton Americas | The SEG Student and Early Career Department in partnership with the Women’s Network Committee hosts the first annual Mentor Meetup. This premier networking event inspires interaction between ambitious students and innovative industry leaders through mentoring circles in a laid-back atmosphere. Open to students, faculty advisors, registered mentors and company sponsors.
- SEG Women’s Network Committee Networking Event | 17:30-19:00 | Hilton Americas | A brief welcome and introduction to the SEG Women’s Network by WNC Chair Maitri Erwin will immediately precede the featured Pioneers in Geophysics posters that highlight a few pioneering women in geophysics. Networking will begin immediately thereafter. Tickets for this event may be purchased in advance or onsite in the Registration Area. Attendees must have ticket for admission. Tickets are $20/professional and $10/student includes a drink ticket, then pay-as-you-go bar with served hors d'oeuvres
- Women’s Network Committee Meeting | Tuesday 26 September | 15:00-16:00 | Hilton Americas | SEG’s WN Committee will conduct a business meeting to discuss strategy and make plans for the coming year. All are welcome to attend.
- Seventh Annual Women’s Network Breakfast | Wednesday 27 September | 08:00-11:00 | George R. Brown Convention Center | Keynote speaker TBA
- Post Conference Workshop | SEG Women’s Network with the American Geophysical Union (AGU) present Moving Beyond Conversations: Addressing Harassment and Improving Workplace Climate | Thursday 28 September | 13:30-17:00 | George R. Brown Convention Center
- Women in Geoscience Forum | October 9-12, 2017 | International Conference on Engineering Geophysics (ICEG) | Al-Ain, UAE | Topic TBA
- Women in Geoscience Forum | October 15-18, 2017 | International Conference and Exhibition (ICE) | London | Topic TBA
- May 25, 2017 | 3rd SEG Women's Network Committee Webinar | Introduction to Rock Physics by Dr. Manika Prasad, Colorado School of Mines | 9:30-10:30 am
- May 8, 2017 | Geophysical Society of Houston | Diversity and Women's Networking Event | Houston, TX | 6-9 pm
- April 7, 2017 | SEG Wavelets WNC Panel Discussion | University of Houston | SR1, room 223 | 1-2 pm
- January 2017 | 2nd SEG Women's Network Committee Webinar | SEG Women's Network Committee: Vision and Goals
- November 2016 | 1st SEG Women's Network Committee Webinar | A Guide for Dual-Career Couples by Dr. Eve Sprunt
- September 7, 2016 | Women in Geosciences Forum at AAPG|SEG International Convention and Exhibition in Cancun, Mexico | Take Control of Your Career: Surviving and Thriving In The Industry Downturn | 6-9 pm
- June 19, 2016 | AAPG-AWG-SEG Women Geoscientists' Networking Reception | 6:30-9pm | AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition | Calgary, Canada
- April 2016 | Women In Geosciences panel at the AAPG|SEG International Convention and Exhibition | Barcelona, Spain | ARTICLE
- November 15, 2015 | Women in Geosciences panel at the opening ceremony of the International Conference on Engineering Geophysics SEG International Convention and Exhibition | Al Ain, UAE
- October 21, 2015 | Fifth Annual Women's Network Breakfast | 8-10am | SEG Annual Meeting New Orleans, LA, USA
- May 30, 2015 | AAPG PROWESS-AWG-SEG Networking Reception - Connecting Women Geoscientists | 6:30-9pm | AAPG Annual Convention 2015 Denver, CO, USA
Join the Community!
- The corporate level - The female geophysicist's experience, Anna Shaughnessy, Eve Sprunt, Maria Angela Capello, and Nancy House (Full Spectrum: The Leading Edge, August 2016)
- WNC panel on women beyond geosciences a success at AAPG/SEG ICE Barcelona, Maria Angela Capello and Paulina Kotlarek (Full Spectrum: The Leading Edge, June 2016)
- How the WNC transformed SEG's approach to the advancement of women in only 5 years, Maria Angela Capello and Maitri Erwin (The Leading Edge, February 2016)
- Women in geophysical service companies: Three stories, Nancy House and Maria Angela Capello (Full Spectrum: The Leading Edge, October 2015)
- Interview with Sally Zinke: First woman President of SEG, Nancy House and Maria Angela Capello (Full Spectrum: The Leading Edge, July 2015)
- Women geophysicists' contributions and participation in SEG: Part 1, Maria Angela Capello, Louise Pellerin, and Ted Bakamjian (Full Spectrum: The Leading Edge, June 2015)
- Dual careers in geoscience, Anna Shaughnessy, Eve Sprunt, and Blair Schneider (Full Spectrum: The Leading Edge, April 2015)