- Thanks for engaging me. There are so many good guacamole recipes. My favorites are basic. Mine - avocado, lime, garlic, and salt. Ifarley 17:23, 10 February 2015 (CST)
Hi Ifarley. I have been editing some of the pages requiring math remediation and I am unsure of what to do with pages which have a non-ascii hypertext character in the name.
If I remove these characters, will I break all the links to the page?
What is the SEG wiki policy in these cases? Should the characters be removed, left as they are or replaced with the math character variant. Example can be found on the following pages. Dictionary:del (∇), Dictionary:cis θ and Dictionary:Thomsen anisotropic parameters (tom’ s∂n)
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this message.
- This is the perfect place for this message. Thank you for reaching out and for working on those equations. We have been excited to see the progress.
- There is a lot to this question. You can only rename wiki pages by moving the page. This is done by hovering over the arrow to the right of the View/Edit toolbar. There you can click "Move" and it will take you to a new screen. Any page that you move will automatically create a redirect for any links to the original page. So in essence, by renaming the file the links would not be broken. SEG does not currently have a policy on these cases, but you bring up a good point and one we will discuss with the larger Wiki Committee.
- Given the consistent nature of this issue in the Dictionary, I would not begin moving these pages as of now. We are having larger discussions about the Dictionary that could impact moving the pages as they stand. You can feel free to edit the non-ASCII characters in the editing window however. By removing those characters and replacing it with LaTeX (for example) will not break any links and help create a less confusing editing experience. For example, this is what I did for this page.
- One other note, using HTML in this way is common in MediaWiki. I appreciate you highlighting this issue and for reaching out to us. If you sign these talk pages with ~~~~ it will leave your username and time stamp the request. This is always helpful. Please let us know how we can help and keep up the great work! Ageary (talk) 08:30, 19 February 2015 (CST)
Hi Isaac, than you very much for the interesting introduction talk today. We benefit a lot.
Hi there. I noticed the page Ifarley/focusing analysis in Category:Pages with unformatted equations. I moved it to your userspace (User:Ifarley/focusing analysis) -- I think that was your original intention. Hopefully that is OK! Mralchen (talk) 08:08, 28 October 2015 (CDT)