Geophysicists have the tools needed to effect positive change in communities facing environmental hardship and natural hazards like severe weather shortages and threats of earthquakes and tsunamis. Your gift puts geoscientists to work around the world, where they apply their specialized knowledge and technical skills to the mitigation of natural hazards in some of the world's neediest communities.
The mission of Geoscientists Without Borders® supports humanitarian applications of geoscience around the world.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Provide funding to projects that will benefit communities in need, where applying geophysical science an information is critical to improving poor conditions or where dangerous conditions and hazards can be mitigated or removed using applied geoscience technology.
- Strengthen the global geophysical community through beneficial multidisciplinary partnerships and cooperation with other organizations active in engineering and geoscience.
- Strengthen and encourage SEG Student Chapters by energizing students and introducing them to the broad range of geosciences careers while also strengthening university programs in geophysics and the geosciences.
Proposals should address issues, problems, or opportunities related to the SEG Foundation's mission: to encourage and support scientific, educational, and charitable activities of benefit to the general public, to geophysicists, and to the geophysical community.
Several projects have been funded since the start of the program in 2008. As of July 2014, 21 projects have been selected and awarded funds. The projects are located in 17 different countries. The map below shows the list of funded projects since 2014. An updated list of projects and status is available here.
Program Application process
Applications for are reviewed twice yearly. The process is in two parts. Phase I is a three page application identifying the location, the need, the approach, the benefits, the cost and the project team. Those selected by the GWB committee are asked to submit a 20-page full proposal. Details of the process is also at www.seg.org/gwb.
Program Partners and Supporters
The Geological Society of America is the first GWB Supporter.
The Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) and the Society of Exploration Geophysicists Foundation (SEGF) is proud to welcome the American Association of Petroleum Geologists Foundation (AAPG-F) as partner to the Geoscientists Without Borders® (GWB) program on December 2, 2014.
- Winner of the 2014 World Oil Award in Best Outreach category
Also nominated as finalists for Best Outreach Program were Aramco iExplore (Aramco), Energy, EMSI High-Octane Tech Fest (Weatherford), Environmentally Friendly Drilling Virtual Site (Houston Advanced Research Center), and Veteran's Resource Group (Baker Hughes Inc). The goal of the World Oil Awards is to applaud the innovations and innovators of the global upstream petroleum industry, demonstrating the technological feats that are the hallmark of our industry. Rather than looking back at past achievements, the World Oil Awards are designed to applaud and showcase innovative thinking and next-generation leadership.
Geoscientists Without Borders — Addressing the globe's most pressing humanitarian problems, K. Burk and L. Ford, The Leading Edge, November 2016, Vol. 35, No. 11, p. 936-7
- GSA joins in partnership with the GWB Program. Press Release. Retrieved December 3, 2014.