Novosibirsk State University Geophysical Society
Novosibirsk State University Geophysical Society was founded in 2005 in Akademgorodok, Russia. The Society has about 80 members, most of them are students of Geology and Geophysics Department of Novosibirsk State University.
In January 2018 Novosibirsk State Technical University SEG Student Chapter has been approved and both organizations were merged to form Novosibirsk SEG United Student Chapter.
Latest news (in Russian)
|Faculty Advisor||Anton A. Duchkov|
|President||Georgy Loginov||Andrey Lyovochkin|
|Vice-President||Ivan Karpov||Nikita Goreyavchev||Polina Osipova|
|Treasurer||Maria Kozina||Arseny Fedoseev|
|Secretary||Ekaterina Khogoeva||Lyubov Eponeshnikova|
Since 2010 The Society has successfully arranged 6 Field Camps:
- “Baikal Lake: Geophysical Marvel of the Earth”, Baikal surroundings, 26 July – 10 August 2010
- “Khakassia Mysteries in the Light of Geophysics”, Khakassia, Russia, 19 – 31 July 2011
- “Near-surface geophysical investigations and Geo-Observatory measurements”, Novosibirsk, 15-21 June 2012
- “Geophysics – to cover undiscovered in Shira Questa Region”, Khakassia, Russia, 28 July – 4 August 2013
- “In Pursuit of the Scythians”, Altai, Russia, 9 – 19 August 2015
- "On the Wave", Teletskoe Lake, Altay, Russia, 23 July – 6 August 2017
The logo of the Field Camp-2015 represents an ancient griffin, traditional symbol of Scythians. This griffin is a copy of a tattoo of a well-known Altai princess, an ancient woman found in Altai.
Currently members of Novosibirsk SEG United Student Chapter are working on 2 Field Camps, that will take place in Altay and Khakassia Republic in Summer 2018.
NSU Geophysical Society has welcomed following Honorary Lecturers:
- "Some stupid shallow seismic experiments I have done" in 2008 by Don W. Steeples, McGee Distinguished Professor of Geophysics and Vice Provost for Scholarly Support at Kansas University
- "Mind the Gap in Seismic Reservoir Prediction: How Rock Physics Can Bridge the Gap between Qualitative Geology and Quantitative Geophysics" in 2009 by Per Avseth, Geophysical Adviser Odin Petroleum AS, Bergen, Norway and Adjunct Professor, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
- "From imaging to inversion" in 2012 by Ian Jones, ION GX Technology, Egham, United Kingdom
- "Full waveform inversion of seismic data: Investigating the Earth for high-resolution velocities and more…" in 2014 by Laurent Sirgue, Total, Pau, France
- "Pitfalls and challenges of seismic imaging" in 2015 by Evgeny Landa, Tel Aviv University, Israel