Near Surface Modeling and Imaging
This workshop explored emerging and underdeveloped techniques including ground-penetrating radar, full-waveform inversion, and surface waves and built on 2014 discussions identifying the need for further understanding of guided waves, anisotropy, velocity inversions, and the creation of an inclusive near-surface model.
Launched in 2014, the workshop facilitated in-depth discussions and shared recent case studies and advancements in emerging technologies addressing near surface modeling, imaging and characterization challenges. Geoscientists attended from a wide geographic area including North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, representing a broad range of near-surface disciplines in engineering and hydrocarbon exploration.
Discussions were centered on finding answers to the following questions:
- How can we use Seismic interferometry?
- How can we improve the accuracy of travel time tomography?
- How can we use surface wave inversion for P-Wave imaging?
- How can non-seismic methods improve the near-surface model?
- What is the role of mode converted waves in near-surface modeling and imaging?
- What is the impact of an inaccurate near-surface model on the success of prospect generation?
- Should we include anisotropy and attenuation into near-surface modeling?
- What quality control techniques we can apply on near-surface model?
- Can multiple energies be used for building near-surface models?
- Near Surface modelling
- Surface-wave inversion
- Seismic methods (refraction, tomography, etc.)
- Non-seismic methods
- Emerging technologies (FWI, interferometry, passive seismic, etc.)
Aqeel Ahmed, BAPCO
Mahmoud Hedefa, Saudi Aramco-UPDC
Mohammed Alhussain, Dhahran Geoscience Society
Abdulaziz Almuhaidib, Saudi Aramco
Abdullatif A. Al-Shuhail, KFUPM
Pier Paolo Bruno, Petroleum Institute
Sherif M. Hanafy, KAUST
James Shorter, PDO
Jie Zhang, GOTECH
E. Dianliang, BGP
Bashir Durrani, ARGAS
Bassam Al Julaih, GEOTECH
Chris Koeninger, Schlumberger
Petroleum Development Oman
- Onsite Program Brochure: File:NSOnsite Program Brochure.pdf