Esben Auken was the recipient of the 2016 Frank Frischknecht Leadership Award. The Frank Frischknecht Leadership Award is established to recognize an individual who shows extraordinary leadership in advancing the cause of near-surface geophysics through long-term, tireless, and enthusiastic support of the near-surface geophysics community.
Esben Auken works as an associate professor of geophysics at the University of Aarhus, Denmark. He directs research in the development of electrical and electromagnetic methods, interpretation and processing software for large-scale high precision airborne surveys, and for ground-based surveys. In addition, he teaches short courses for professionals and for undergraduate and postgraduate students. He is cofounder of the software and consultancy company Aarhus Geophysics. He is a member of SEG, EAGE, EEGS, and ASEG.
He gained an MSc (1991) and PhD (1996) in geophysics from The University of Aarhus. From 1996—1998 he was assistant professor at The Technical University of Denmark in Copenhagen. Research interests include: 1D and 2D inversion of electromagnetic data, development of user-friendly inversion and data processing software. He is author of the electromagnetic inversion engine emldinv.exe (Fortran) that serves as the core of the inversion software developed by The HydroGeophysics Group.
- Esben Auken faculty page
- (2013). ”Contributors.” GEOPHYSICS, 78(2), Z45-Z51. http://dx.doi.org/10.1190/geo2013-0220-CONTRI.1
- (2002). ”Author Biographies.” JEEG, 7(2), 100-101. http://dx.doi.org/10.4133/JEEG7.2.100
- Whaley, J., 2017, Oil in the Heart of South America, https://www.geoexpro.com/articles/2017/10/oil-in-the-heart-of-south-america], accessed November 15, 2021.
- Wiens, F., 1995, Phanerozoic Tectonics and Sedimentation of The Chaco Basin, Paraguay. Its Hydrocarbon Potential: Geoconsultores, 2-27, accessed November 15, 2021; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281348744_Phanerozoic_tectonics_and_sedimentation_in_the_Chaco_Basin_of_Paraguay_with_comments_on_hydrocarbon_potential
- Alfredo, Carlos, and Clebsch Kuhn. “The Geological Evolution of the Paraguayan Chaco.” TTU DSpace Home. Texas Tech University, August 1, 1991. https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/handle/2346/9214?show=full.