Chevron GOM Full Waveform Inversion Synthetic
A series of 2D marine benchmark synthetics were created by Chevron to help validate implementations of full waveform inversion. These synthetics were made available to the geophysical community in 2012-2014. One of the synthetics is a 2D Elastic Isotropic (Vp, Vs, Dn) marine seismic benchmark synthetic, subsalt Gulf of Mexico. 80 km long, 15 km deep, 20 km streamer offsets, with or without free surface multiples, wavelet provided, and featuring current geological and structural understanding of this province. Its main purpose is to exercise FWI algorithms in their quest for complex salt shapes and subsalt velocity anomalies, thus the long offsets and absence of anisotropy, which would make an already difficult problem even more so. Used for both the 2012 and 2013 SEG Gulf of Mexico Imaging Challenge Workshops.
The 2012 SEG post convention workshop "Gulf of Mexico Imaging Challenges: What can full waveform inversion achieve?" included a morning session where participants shared the results of a blind GOM synthetic FWI exercise. Participants were invited to show their velocity estimates and images. Link to workshop description.
An SEG post convention workshop "Gulf of Mexico Imaging challenge Part II: FWI, WEMVA, and Workflows" is planned for 2013. Link to workshop description. Workshop participants are invited again to present inversion results.
Based on feedback from past participants, advances in acquisition technology, and feedback at the 2013 EAGE pre-convention FWI workshop a synthetic with 30 km offset and 23 second recording time was created. This dataset is called the 2013 Chevron long offset FWI synthetic.
In August of 2013, a starting Vp model to assist FWI inversion was provided in segy and a binary flat file.
In August of 2013 Chevron also distributed CSEM and MT data computed from the same model for participants who desire EM data.
The velocity model used to create the synthetics was not released, but in February of 2014 Chevron released a distorted image of the velocity field to help researchers evaluate their results.
How to obtain a copy of the data
To download click here.
Do not separate this Data License Agreement from this Data. Make sure you read and understand this document fully.
Subject to the terms and conditions below, Chevron hereby extends to you ("User") a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable, royalty-free license ("License") to use Chevron's 2D Synthetic Seismic Dataset, including all data and supporting information related to the 2D Synthetic Seismic Dataset, such as without limitation, synthetic gravity data and electromagnetic data (collectively, "Data")
1. SEG. The SEG is helping to distribute this Data, but is not legally liable in any way because of that assistance.
2. NO WARRANTIES. THE DATA IS PROVIDED "AS IS," WITH NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. CHEVRON MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES TO USER, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS OR FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
3. DAMAGE WAIVER. CHEVRON SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHICH MAY ARISE IN CONNECTION WITH THIS LICENSE OR USER'S USE OF THE DATA OR RESULTS.
4. MODIFICATIONS. If User modifies this Data in any way, User must document that the data has been modified from its original form and explain how it differs from the original Data.
5. REDISTRIBUTION. If user agrees to disclose any or all of this Data with any other person or organization, user will also provide all of the associated documentation originally included with the Data and provided to user, including this Data License Agreement. If User discloses any modified version of Data, the modification must be documented and included along with the Data.
6. PUBLICATIONS. User agrees to acknowledge Chevron for use of the Data in any proposed publications, presentations or other materials that include the Data.
7. VOLUNTARY USE. Use of the Data is voluntary. Chevron will not compensate User in any way for processing, analyzing, modifying, distributing or otherwise using the Data.
By using the Data, User hereby accepts the above terms and conditions of this License. If User cannot agree with the above terms and conditions, User cannot use this Data.