My name is Carianna Michelle Herrera Di Giacinto, a Venezuelan and Italian woman. I got my Bachelor degree in Geophysical Engineer from the Simon Bolivar University in 2017, and currently, I am an Earth Sciences Master candidate in that university. I am a 3-years experienced geophysicist in exploration and research, with high skills in ArcGIS/QGIS, MatLab, Geosoft Oasis Montaj, Ip2win, Zond-softwares, DecisionSpace Landmark, Interactive Petrophysics, ENVI, MS Office, and others. I have strong knowledge in Potential Fields and broad knowledge in Remote sensing and Seismic aquisition, as well as in Hydrology and Astronomy. I am interested in Planetary geophysics and Near-surface geophysics.
|MASTER IN EARTH SCIENCES||2017 (expected graduation date March, 2021).||Simón Bolívar University||Area: Solid Earth Geophysics. Current line of research: Potential Fields, G&M methods, EM methods. Average grade: 4.6333/5.0000 points.|
|BACHELOR IN GEOPHYSICAL ENGINEERING||2009-2016||Simón Bolívar University||Average grade: 4.0934/5.0000 points. Title of the thesis: “Análisis fractal de anomalías gravimétricas en Los Andes de Mérida” (Fractal analysis of gravimetric anomalies in Merida Andes) awarded with an Outstanding mention. Advisor: PhD. Milagrosa Aldana (USB). Co-advisor: PhD. Javier Sánchez-Rojas (FUNVISIS).|
Other courses and participation in conferences and congresses:
· ARCGIS 3: ANALYSIS (ADVANCED MODULE COURSE). Theoretical-Practical Course (16 Hours) delivered by Esri. Caracas. February, 2018.
· III TECHNICAL WORKSHOP “UN DÍA GEOFÍSICO”. Assistance as Speaker (Presenting “Introducción a la SEG” as a SEG Student Chapter Officer) and as Instructor (Field Camp Day: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Sounding). Simón Bolívar University, Caracas. November, 2017.
· INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION AND 87th SEG ANNUAL MEETING. Assistance to Student Education Program (SEP) delivered by ExxonMobil; and assistance to SEG Annual Meeting as Speaker. Houston, TX, USA. September, 2017.
· SEBA HYDROMETER TECHNICAL TRAINING. INAMEH (46 hours). Caracas. June, 2017.
· STATISTICS FOR ATMOSPHERICS SCIENCES COURSE. INAMEH (27 hours). Caracas, May-July, 2017.
· I NATIONAL CONGRESS OF GEOMATICS. Assistance to the workshops Miranda Satellite Image Processing (8 Hours) and Miranda Satellite Image Interpretation (8 Hours). Fundación Instituto de Ingeniería. Caracas, October, 2015.
· I TECHNICAL WORKSHOP “UN DÍA GEOFÍSICO”. Assistance as participant. Simón Bolívar University. Caracas. May, 2015.
· BASIC FIRST AID COURSE. Volunteer Fire Department of USB (8 hours). Caracas. February, 2015.
· ACQUISITION AND PROCESSING OF SEISMIC DATA COURSE. Theoretical-practical course (32 hours). Seismic Survey "Zuata 11M3D3C". August, 2014.
|Researcher||April, 2018 – October, 2018.||Geophysics Department of the VENEZUELAN FOUNDATION FOR SEISMOLOGICAL RESEARCH (FUNVISIS)||Applied geophysics research in Potential fields; electromagnetic methods; non-linear methods in geophysics. Integration of geophysical data in tectonophysics researchs and seismic microzoning projects.|
|Professor||January – March, 2018.||Earth Sciences Department of the SIMÓN BOLÍVAR UNIVERSITY (USB)||Teaching the undergraduate course GC3214 “Campos y Ondas”.|
|Professional I||February, 2017 – March, 2018.||Coordination of Groundwater Hydrology of the NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF METEOROLOGY AND HYDROLOGY (INAMEH)||Application of geoelectric and electromagnetic methods for the exploration and geophysical characterization of groundwater. Application of hydrological and hydrogeological methods for the determination of physicochemical parameters in studies of groundwater level and quality.|
|Thesis student/Researcher||March 2016 - December 2016||Geophysics Department of the VENEZUELAN FOUNDATION FOR SEISMOLOGICAL RESEARCH (FUNVISIS)||Title: Fractal analysis of gravimetric anomalies in the Merida Andes. Project GIAME - Geophysical Department. Achievement: Outstanding mention.|
|GIAME Project||April – November, 2015.||Geophysics Department of the VENEZUELAN FOUNDATION FOR SEISMOLOGICAL RESEARCH (FUNVISIS)||Magnetotelluric and seismic reflection acquisitions.|
|Intern||July-August, 2014||PDVSA/SÍSMICA BIELOVENEZOLANA S.A.||Intern field QC in the stages of Surveying, Drilling and Recording, and Shallow Refractive Seismic, at Seismic Survey "Río Claro 11M 3D 3C" and Seismic Survey "Zuata 11M 3D 3C".|
|Teaching assistant||2012-2014||Earth Sciences Department of the SIMÓN BOLÍVAR UNIVERSITY (USB)||To manage the Mineralogy Laboratory and to prepare material of the “Geología Física” undergraduate course.|
Honors & Awards
- Awarded for the Student Leadership Symposium, 2018 edition, sponsored by SEG/Chevron.
- Participation on the SEG EVOLVE program, 2018 edition, sponsored by the SEG Foundation and Halliburton. Study area: Gulf of México.
- Awarded for the Student Educational Program, 2017 edition, sponsored by SEG/ExxonMobil.
- Best Students Award 2016 edition, awarded by the Dean of Professional Studies of the Simón Bolívar University in October 2016.
- 2nd prize in the SEG Challenge Bowl competition (Venezuela). June, 2015.
- Diploma of Excellence with Summa Cum Laude in High School (average 20.0), awarded by the Commission for the Promotion of Higher Education and Culture (2005-2009)
Volunteer role, companies or professional affiliations
Associated Societies: Sociedad Venezolana de Ingenieros Geofísicos (SOVG) (since 2019), AAPG Student membership (2016 – present), SEG Student membership (2015 – present).
|Latin America Regional Advisory Committee member||Since 2019||Venezuelan representation|
|President of the SEG Student Chapter at Simon Bolivar University
(“Sociedad Geofísica de la Universidad Simón Bolívar”)
|2018-2019||Achievements: Recognized Summit (Top 10 Student Chapters worldwide) and awarded as the 2019 Most Improved Chapter.|
|Event coordinator of the SEG Student Chapter at Simon Bolivar University (“Sociedad Geofísica de la Universidad Simón Bolívar”)||2017-2018||Achievements: Reactivate the chapter and being recognized with the Ridge level.|
|Treasurer of Student group TEK-USB||2016-2017|
|Secretary of Student group TEK-USB||2014-2015|
- Fractal characterization of northwestern Venezuela gravity station network Carianna Herrera and Javier Sánchez-Rojas, Geophysics Department of Venezuelan Foundation for Seismological Research, FUNVISIS; Milagrosa Aldana, Earth Science Department of Simón Bolívar University. 88th SEG Annual Meeting at Anaheim, CA. October, 2018. SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2018. DOI: 10.1190/segam2018-2996592.1
- Depth to sources and Bouguer density determination of The Mérida Andes, Venezuela, by means of a fractal analysis of gravity data. Carianna Herrera and Milagrosa Aldana, Earth Science Department of Simón Bolívar University; Javier Sánchez-Rojas, and Michael Schmitz, Geophysics Department of Venezuelan Foundation for Seismological Research, FUNVISIS. 87th SEG Annual Meeting at Houston, TX. September, 2017. SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2017. DOI: 10.1190/segam2017-17781037.1
- Fórmulas en Excel para el cálculo rápido de la Anomalía de Bouguer. Javier Sánchez-Rojas, Geophysics Department of Venezuelan Foundation for Seismological Research, FUNVISIS; Mariana Lume, Carianna Herrera, and Adrián Randon, Earth Science Department of Simón Bolívar University, USB. Memorial book of the Investigation Symposium of the Faculty of Engineering of the Central University of Venezuela. November, 2016.
- Native Spanish speaker
- High level of proficiency in English.