Dictionary:Turning wave

From SEG Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Other languages:

{{#category_index:T|turning wave}}

A downward-going wave who’s raypath has been curved so much that it has an upward component of motion; a diving wave. If it is reflected on its upward going path (for example, by an overhanging salt flank), it is called a turning-wave reflection (see Figure D-19). They require special processing, as applying ordinary normal moveout will destroy their coherency. They are useful in defining features such as the flanks of salt domes below salt overhangs.