Dictionary:DMO (dip moveout) processing
A seismic processing operation to correct for the fact that, for dipping reflections, the component traces of a CMP gather do not involve a common reflecting point.
Dip-moveout processing creates apparent common-reflection-point gathers by a convolution applied to adjacent common-midpoint gathers, with the feature that the moveout with offset for reflections from a dipping bed no longer depend on the dip angle (see Figure C-9b).
DMO effectively corrects for the reflection-point smear that results when dipping reflectors are stacked by the CMP method. After DMO is applied, events with various dips stack with the same velocity.
DMO stands for dip moveout, but it is different from the classical dip moveout that is simply the effect of dip on arrival times.
DMO can be performed in a number of ways, including prestack partial migration, time-domain, finite-difference methods (offset continuation), Fourier-domain implementation, integral (Kirchhoff) methods.
Velocity-dependent DMO is usually applied after velocity-dependent NMO. Gardner’s DMO  applies velocity-independent DMO prior to velocity-dependent NMO. See Figure D-20 and double square-root equation.
- Yilmaz, O; Claerbout, J. F (1980). "Partial prestack migration". Geophysics 45 (12): 1753–1779. doi:10.1190/1.1441064.
- Bolondi, G; Loinger, E; Rocca, F (1982). "Offset continuation of seismic sections". Geophysical Prospecting 30 (6): 813–828. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2478.1982.tb01340.x.
- Hale, Dave (1984). "Dip‐moveout by Fourier transform". Geophysics 49 (6): 741-757. doi:10.1190/1.1441702.
- Deregowski, S. M.; Hosken, W. J. (1985). "tutorial: Migration strategy". Geophysical Prospecting 33 (1): 1-33. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2478.1985.tb00419.x.
- Deregowski, S. M. (1986). "What is DMO". First Break 4 (7): 7–24. doi:10.3997/1365-2397.1986014.
- Forel, David; Gardner, Gerald H. F. (1988). "A three‐dimensional perspective on two‐dimensional dip moveout". Geophysics 53 (5): 604-610. doi:10.1190/1.1442495.
- Whaley, J., 2017, Oil in the Heart of South America, https://www.geoexpro.com/articles/2017/10/oil-in-the-heart-of-south-america], accessed November 15, 2021.
- Wiens, F., 1995, Phanerozoic Tectonics and Sedimentation of The Chaco Basin, Paraguay. Its Hydrocarbon Potential: Geoconsultores, 2-27, accessed November 15, 2021; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281348744_Phanerozoic_tectonics_and_sedimentation_in_the_Chaco_Basin_of_Paraguay_with_comments_on_hydrocarbon_potential
- Alfredo, Carlos, and Clebsch Kuhn. “The Geological Evolution of the Paraguayan Chaco.” TTU DSpace Home. Texas Tech University, August 1, 1991. https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/handle/2346/9214?show=full.