William W. Butler was awarded SEG Life Membership in 1954 as the winner of a 1952 contest to design a new SEG Crest.
The winning crest, which earned Butler life membership, consists of a western hemisphere framed by the traditional mariners’ compass. The globe map is used to signify that geophysics is the science of the earth, and the mariners’ compass denotes the fact that the science of geophysics is used to explore the earth and its crust in search of mineral wealth. The photo appeared on page 262 of the January 1954 GEOPHYSICS.
Biography Citation for SEG Life Membership 1954 
William W. Butler was graduated with honors from The University of Colorado in 1932 with a B. S. Degree in electrical engineering and elected to the membership in Tau Beta Pi, and Eta Kappa Nu engineering organizations.
His initial geophysical work was in 1934 as a computer and later as a chief computer for the Geophysical Research Corporation after being employed in the engineering department of the United Power and Light Company for approximately two years. In 1937 he was employed by Barnsdall Oil Company as a chief computer and was soon made assistant to the chief geophysicist, making review interpretations and developing computation techniques. Upon the decision of the Barnsdell Oil to discontinue the operation of its own geophysical parties, preferring a more flexible operation employing contract parties, he was employed by the Gulf Research and Development Company during the years 1941 to 1944 as a seismic interpreter in the geophysics division at their Pittsburgh Laboratory and later on a field seismograph party. He was in the employ of The Superior Oil Company of California as a party chief between 1944 and 1945.
Mr. Butler has been employed for the past seven years as a geophysical supervisor for the Tide Water Associated Oil Company. He is also a member of the Houston Geological Society and the Houston Section of the S.E.G.
- Clark, D. (2005). ”SEG's first 75 years.” The Leading Edge, 24(s1), s18–s25.
- Geophysics 1954, v. XIX, n. 2, p. 262.