The 2nd Annual SEG Wikithon will be held 12-2pm and 5-6pm October 26-29 in Denver, CO during the SEG International Exposition and 84th Annual Meeting. This wiki page will contain the latest information about the event.
The SEG Wikithon is an open-house event during which SEG members and staff will connect to refine and launch content around a focused geophysics-related theme(s). That theme(s) will be determined by the SEG Online Technical Content Board and you, using this page. Propose tutorials you would like to see covered during the event to the schedule below. See you in Denver!
- 1 Schedule
- 2 Student wikithon
- 3 Suggested tutorials
- 4 Common editing tasks
- 5 Social media
- 6 Informal attendee list
- 7 Registration
- 8 Exercises during #Wikithon2014
The schedule for the 2014 Wikithon is intentionally flexible. It will be held 12-2pm and 5-6pm October 26-29 in Room 708 of the convention center. The SEG Online Technical Content Board and staff encourage you to make suggestions and use the discussion tab within this page to define what YOU would like to learn during the 2014 Wikithon.
We are pleased to announce that the 2014 Wikithon will expand to the Student Pavilion. SEG Wiki staff will host student wikithons on Monday, October 27 from 3-4pm and on Tuesday, October 28 from 12-2pm.
Please add tutorials you are interested in below:
- What's a wiki? Why do we care?
- What's the purpose of the SEG Wiki?
- Open data - how do I access and use it in the wiki?
- Creating a user account and your user page
- How do you edit wikis? A 15-minute tutorial
- A bit about copyright and licensing
- Finding things to do in the Wiki and actually doing it!
- Defining annual wiki themes for SEG
- How to improve geoscience articles related to exploration geophysics and link to other geoscience wikis (AAPG, SPE, etc.)
Common editing tasks
- Typos, grammar, adding links, adding categories, adding relevant external links, etc.
- Refining or adding references to increase credibility
- Adding photographs, which requires them to be openly licensed or public domain
- Improve figures and diagrams
- Improving stubs
- Substantial editing, or adding substantial new material
- Adding new articles
- Merging or splitting articles is hard work
- Creating and using templates
Informal attendee list
This is a preliminary list. If you are planning to attend, please add your name below.
Annual Meeting registration opened July 8, 2014. Annual Meeting attendees are welcome to participate in the Wikithon. There is no registration process for the Wikithon itself. Please learn more about Annual Meeting registration at the Annual Meeting homepage.
Exercises during #Wikithon2014
Creating your own profile
- Add user page to the SEG Wiki
- Companies and professional affiliations
- Expertise, topics of interest
- One question about the wiki
- One new page idea for the wiki
- A photo (if you'd like)
- Copy source code from Andrew’s sandbox, and paste to your own user page
- To access your user page, first make sure to login to SEG's single sign-on system (SSO) using your login credentials
- Then, visit your user page
- Add your own personal information under each category
Pages needing attention
- Example during training - A bio example after it has been edited | That same bio before it was edited
- Nice biography - J. Clarence Karcher
- SEG keywords
- SEG presidents
- SEG Student Chapters
- Seismic Data Analysis
- Robert Sheriff’s Encyclopedic Dictionary
- Wikipedia cheat sheet
Content requested by geophysicists
- Documenting open datasets - Open data
- The basics of seismic interpretation
- The basic equations of geophysics
- Summaries of classic papers (e.g., most cited papers in Geophysics and TLE)
- Microseismic (hot topic generally)
- Borehole geophysics (same)
New wiki page ideas
- Your idea here - Your name - short description of the page here