The 2nd Annual SEG Wikithon will be held October 26-29 in Denver, CO during the SEG International Exposition and 84th Annual Meeting. This wiki page will contain the latest information about the event.
The SEG Wikithon is an open-house event during which SEG members and staff will connect to refine and launch content around a focused geophysics-related theme(s). That theme(s) will be determined by the SEG Online Technical Content Board and you, using this page. Propose tutorials you would like to see covered during the event to the schedule below. We'll see you in October! For all the latest information, visit the Wikithon’s page (http://goo.gl/brYuOF) on the SEG Wiki, engage with us @SEGWiki on Twitter, or like SEG Wiki on Facebook. See you in Denver!
The goal of the SEG Wikithon is to connect those who are passionate about making a difference in the science of applied geophysics and give them the tools to make that difference (within the SEG Wiki).
All SEG members and participants at the Annual Meeting, regardless of wiki experience, are encouraged to join the fun.
The SEG Wikithon will be held at DenCC 708 at the SEG Annual Meeting.
12 – 2pm AND 5 – 6pm Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday during Annual Meeting (October 26 – 29)
The schedule for the 2014 Wikithon is intentionally flexible. The SEG Online Technical Content Board and staff encourage you to make suggestions and use the discussion tab within this page to define what YOU would like to learn during the 2014 Wikithon. Please add tutorials you are interested in below:
- What's a wiki? Why do we care?
- What's the purpose of the SEG Wiki?
- Open data - how do I access and use it in the wiki?
- Creating a user account and your user page
- How do you edit wikis? A 15-minute tutorial
- A bit about copyright and licensing
- Finding things to do in the Wiki and actually doing it!
- Defining annual wiki themes for SEG
- How to improve geoscience articles related to exploration geophysics and link to other geoscience wikis (AAPG, SPE, etc.)
Common editing tasks
- Typos, grammar, adding links, adding categories, adding relevant external links, etc.
- Refining or adding references to increase credibility
- Adding photographs, which requires them to be openly licensed or public domain
- Improve figures and diagrams
- Improving stubs
- Substantial editing, or adding substantial new material
- Adding new articles
- Merging or splitting articles is hard work
- Creating and using templates
Informal attendee list
This is a preliminary list. If you are planning to attend, please add your name below.
Annual Meeting registration will be open starting July 8, 2014. Annual Meeting attendees are welcome to attend the Wikithon. There is no registration process for the Wikithon itself. Please learn more about Annual Meeting registration at the Annual Meeting homepage.