Celebrate the SEG Wiki, the world’s first online geophysics encyclopedia, and the fifth anniversary of the Wiki Meetup at the SEG Pavilion, daily from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. 25-27 September 2017. Gather with your colleagues, the SEG Wiki Committee, and SEG volunteers to chronicle the history of SEG, add biographies of key geoscientists, and improve discoverability in the wiki. Also explore our ongoing Spanish and Mandarin translations of Sheriff’s Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Geophysics and find out how you can help as we strive to translate the entire book to Spanish before the 2018 Annual Meeting.
Meetup participants should bring a laptop and a collaborative spirit. No prior wiki experience necessary. Register for the 2018 Annual Meeting today.
Overview of the 2017 Wiki Meetup
The Wiki Meetup connects those passionate about the science of applied geophysics with the tools necessary to make lasting contributions. The SEG Wiki Meetup is a form of hackathon, or an event focused on shared development through community-led collaboration, that began during the 2013 SEG Annual Meeting in Houston. During the meetup, contributors join to build SEG Wiki pages, meet colleagues and peers, and advance geophysics around the world.
The 2017 Wiki Meetup will focus on these areas:
- Adding historical and current biographies of geophysics experts and major contributors to the field
- New biographies include but not limited to SEG authors, award winners, and past presidents
- Goal: reach 1,000 biographies (919 as of 27 July 2017)
- Core geophysical topics
- Chronicle the history of SEG
- Help organize and structure the history of SEG through the decades, starting in 1930
- Translation of Sheriff’s Encyclopedic Dictionary
Frequently asked questions
- What is a meetup?
- A meetup is a physical gathering of like-minded people joining to advance individual articles and, in so doing, the shared community asset that is the SEG Wiki. It is purposefully designed to be a participant-driven meeting. Specifically, the goal of the 2017 meetup is to connect those passionate about the science of applied geophysics, provide the necessary tools to make lasting contributions, and advance the mission of SEG. In addition, we will help you get better acquainted with the wiki, provide examples of the wiki helping you, and gather your own ideas for the future of the wiki.
- Who can attend the meetup?
- The event is free, and open to all SEG members and attendees of the Annual Meeting, regardless of wiki experience.
- What can I expect when I get to the meetup?
- Meetup participants will find the SEG Wiki team and committee members ready to support volunteers in the SEG Pavilion on the Exposition Floor. The meetup as a whole is designed for all contributors – whether you are new to the wiki, in need of more personalized attention, or an experienced contributor looking to engage in discussions about advancing the science. All Annual Meeting attendees, regardless of experience, are invited. The wiki needs consistent support from volunteers to flourish. There is a place for all contributors – from editors who enjoy repairing typos to experienced geophysicists looking to add missing content. Please bring a laptop.
- What do you hope to achieve at the meetup?
- Attendees will leave the meetup with tools to make lasting contributions, new connections with colleagues, and an understanding of how the wiki (and, you) advances the mission of SEG. Specifically, we are striving to reach 1,000 biographies and 100 core geophysical topics. We also are encouraging contributions to the Spanish and Mandarin translations of Sheriff’s Encyclopedic Dictionary.
- SEG book authors without wiki biographies