Azie Sophia Aziz
“Always follow your passion”
- 1 About Me
- 2 Other Details
- 3 Work Experience
- 4 Leadership Experience
- 5 Patents and Publications
- 6 COMPUTER SKILLS
- 7 AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- 8 Writing sample
- 9 Companies and professional affiliations
- 10 Expertise I can offer
- 11 3 definitions that need updated in Sheriff's Dictionary
- 12 One question for the SEG Wiki staff
- 13 Testing ground
Azie Sophia wants to live in a world where smartphones are not the king of communication, love letters are written by hands, gymnasium is not a priority.
As a PhD student in geophysics, she’s been honored with awards like Best Poster for PhD at Robert Sheriff Symposium.
When she’s not at the computer working on the thesis, you can find her reading Yelp exploring new places to eat, coffee shops, watching new movies and playing board games until midnight.
- Research Advisor = Dr. Robert Stewart
- Home country = Malaysia
- Resident = Houston, TX,USA
- Shell, Houston Deepwater Exploration Geophysicist Intern May 2014-August 2014
- Analyzed seismic imaging method (SRME) and recommended the technique resulting in computational cost reduction
- Developed and implemented strategies for deep water data conditioning, which resulted in a 100% satisfied client
- Managed a cross-functional team to meet client’s objectives (increase confidence in reservoir interpretation)
- ConocoPhillips, Houston Knowledge Management Analyst January 2013 – December 2013
- Developed online integrated portal to streamline activities and resources for the Continuous Improvement Group
- Formulated Key Performance Indicators to evaluate and quantify the group capability and measure project success
- Implemented and integrated training page with tools and resources using a Wiki-based platform
- KMS Technologies, Houston Geophysicist/Business Development Manager October 2008 – December 2012
- Proved salt overhang and oil deposit in Hockley reservoir through Magnetotellurics (MT)
- Demonstrated presence of gas in unconventional (Bakken) reservoir through surface-to-borehole EM
- Identified $300, 0000 market opportunity for Asia Pacific Region and research Institution
- PETRONAS, Malaysia Researcher/Trainer July 2005– October 2008
- Managed engineers to successfully complete a project, which resulted in an Ericsson Innovation Award
- Maintained 6 visiting speakers per year to introduce new ideas and identified prospects through networking
- Developed new training program for engineering department which resulted in company’s highest award performance
Society of Exploration Geophysicist, Student Talk Director, May 2015 – Present
- Lead the inaugural Student Pop-Up Talk at the International Annual Meeting
- Develop advertising and promote the event
Society of Exploration Geophysicist, Wiki Champion May 2015 – Present
- Promote Wiki usage among geoscientists through training and exhibition
- Write Wiki articles for notable women in geosciences
Society of Exploration Geophysicist Student Chapter, Vice President May 2014 – May 2015
- Lead chapter officers to reinvent the organization to attract membership and boost branding
- Organized TED Talk and Pop-Up Talk
Patents and Publications
- Jiang, J., A, Aziz, Y. Liu, and K. Strack, Geophysical Data Acquisition System, U.S Patent Application 20130176821
- Aziz, A. and R. R. Stewart, Probing the Past: Subsurface Imaging to Identify Burials at the Mueschke Cemetery: GSH Journal
- Aziz, A., and R. R. Stewart, Geophysics Field School: Earthly Interactions: GSH Journal
- Aziz, A., and R. R. Stewart, What Lies Beneath: UH’s La Marque Geophysical Observatory: GSH Journal
- Aziz, A., R.R. Stewart, and S.L. Green, 2013, Imaging buried culverts using Ground Penetrating Radar: Comparing 100 MHz through 1 GHz antennae, Presented at to AGU 2013
- Aziz, A., K. Strack, and T. Hanstein, 2011, Surface-to-borehole TEM for reservoir monitoring, Presented at SEG 2011
• Unix, MATLAB, Python, FORTRAN, SIPMAP, JobPro, GeoSigns nDI, Paradigm Echos, Vista, SMT Kingdom
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- Awards: Best PhD poster (Robert Sheriff Symposium 2013), First Runner Up SEG Challenge Bowl 2014,
- Fellowships: SEG Margaret Sheriff Scholarship, SEG Western Geco Scholarship, SEG Ulrich Schmucker Scholarship
SEG Honorary North America Lecture Comes to University of Houston
Every year, through the North America Honorary Lecture, the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) brings one of the brightest and the best geoscientists to speak at 19 locations. This prestigious lecture tour is a companion event to the SEG Distinguished Lecture Program.
This year’s talk features Dr. Aria Abubakar who leads Schlumberger’s Wireline and Logging-While-Drilling Product Development for electromagnetic, nuclear, and resistivity measurements and their joint inversion and interpretation. More than 60 people attended the event including faculty members, students and industry professionals. It was another successful event organized by SEG Wavelets.
SEG Honorary North America Lecture Oyintari presented Dr. Abubakar with a souvenir from SEG Wavelets.The title of Dr. Abubakar’s talk was “Joint Inversion of Multi-Physics Data for Petrophysical and Engineering Properties.” In it, he reviewed the upcoming joint inversion algorithms and workflows for integrating EM, seismic and production data through the analysis of advantages, disadvantages of each method.
Dr. Abubakar holds a Ph.D. (cum laude) in technical sciences from Delft University and was a researcher at Schlumberger-Doll Research Center, where he developed advanced modeling and inversion of electromagnetic and seismic waves. He also worked on algorithms and workflows for joint inversion of multi-physics data for both reservoir and wellbore-scale measurements.
He is currently an associate editor of the GEOPHYSICS Journal. During his career, he has published one book, four book chapters, more than 75 scientific articles in refereed journals, 150 conference proceedings papers, and 50 conference abstracts. In addition, he holds four U.S. patents, has five U.S. patent applications under review, and has presented at more than 200 invited and contributed talks at international conferences, institutes and universities.
SEG Honorary North America Lecture Guests were glued to the presentation.The event started with a spread of refreshments served outside the lecture room providing an opportunity for the guests to mingle. Oyintari Aboro, SEG Wavelets president, opened the event with welcoming remarks. He expressed his thanks to all for the excellent turnout and reminded guests of the opportunity for industry sponsorship of SEG Wavelet events. Azie Aziz, SEG Wavelets vice president, introduced the speaker.
Dr. Abubakar encouraged the audience to ask questions in each segment of his talk which was very interesting and interactive.
At the close of the lecture, Oyintari took the stage again to present Dr. Abubakar with a token of appreciation from the SEG Wavelets. The event concluded with a lunch buffet in the SR1 Second Floor Common Area.
- Azie Aziz on behalf of SEG Wavelets
Companies and professional affiliations
Expertise I can offer
- Depth Imaging
- Business Development
- Management Consulting
- Technical Writing
3 definitions that need updated in Sheriff's Dictionary
One question for the SEG Wiki staff
- How can I contribute to the Wiki development in SEG ?