User:Ageary/SEG Wiki biographer
In 2016, the SEG Wiki reached a milestone: 10 million views (over 6 million of those views came in 2015)! Over the last year, volunteers made 8,672 individual contributions and grew the number of pages in the wiki by 1,147. SEG Wiki volunteer positions offer exciting opportunities to those wishing to make a significant impact and contribution to the SEG community, its global members and affiliated societies, and the public at large. Join this rapidly growing site and contribute to leave your mark on the only online encyclopedia dedicated to applied geophysics!
The SEG Wiki committee and SEG Wiki staff seek volunteers to add historical and current biographies of geophysics experts and major contributors to the field. This volunteer will be the primary driver to help the SEG Wiki reach our goal of 1,000 biographies. New biographies include but not limited to SEG authors, award winners, and past presidents. For example, many speakers in the Distinguished Lecture Program and the Honorary Lecture Program do not have biographies. In addition, many published authors with SEG do not have a biography.
Your role would consist of locating these missing biographies and adding them to the wiki. A video will be created shortly providing an example of how to add a biography. This person will ensure that new biographical content is clear, concise, and focused on SEG and the wiki's mission.
SEG Wiki staff will hold webinars to train volunteers and provide support on a regular basis as needed. Volunteers will gain a working knowledge of wikitext (similar to contributing to Wikipedia), expand his/her role within the Society, and grow his/her geoscience knowledge and skills. SEG Wiki volunteer positions offer exciting opportunities to those wishing to make a significant impact and contribution to the SEG community, its global members and affiliated societies, and the public at large. Volunteers will also be considered for the 2016 SEG Wiki awards, awarded at the Annual Meeting in Dallas (attendance not required to win).
- With guidance from the SEG Publications outreach editor and digital publications manager will research and add historical and current biographies of geophysics experts and major contributors to the field. New biographies include but not limited to SEG authors, award winners, and past presidents.
- Locate and research missing biographies in the SEG Wiki
- Ensure new biographical content is clear, concise, and focused on SEG and the wiki's mission
- Places emphasis on establishing bidirectional linking between the SEG Wiki and other SEG products and services
- Reports directly to the SEG Publications outreach editor
SEG Wiki staff will hold webinars to train volunteers and provide support on a regular basis as needed. This position is unpaid. We offer solid resume-building experiences that will facilitate your ownership of substantive projects. We depend on you to get the job done right and we will facilitate your success. References gladly provided to great volunteers via LinkedIn or volunteer's preference. You will also have the opportunity to network with other volunteers, SEG members, and the Wiki Committee.
SEG Wiki volunteer positions offer exciting opportunities to those wishing to make a significant impact and contribution to the SEG community, its global members and affiliated societies, and the public at large. Volunteers will also be considered for the 2016 SEG Wiki awards, awarded at the Annual Meeting in Dallas (attendance not required to win).
SEG values all our volunteers and will work to make sure that you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals.
- Self-motivated, possess good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, as well as multi-task and meet deadlines
- Can work independently and in team, has the ability to contribute in a timely manner, and able to communicate openly and effectively
- Intermediate written communication skills and well-developed oral and interpersonal skills are required for dealing with internal and external contacts.
- Prior Wikipedia or other online encyclopedia experience a plus
- Action orientation - pursues work with energy; perseveres especially in the face of resistance or setbacks
- Communication - provides timely information so that accurate decisions can be made; practices attentive and active listening; conveys information and ideas clearly and positively; both in oral and written communication
- Problem solving and decision making - uses sound logic and methods to solve problems and develop effective solutions; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer; makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
- Teamwork - encourages collaboration by fostering open dialogue; defines success in terms of the whole team; finds common ground and solves problems for the good of all areas of SEG; represents his/her own interests while exercising fairness to others; shares successes
- Quality of work - produces high-quality work with few errors within deadlines; uses resources effectively
Requirements and commitment
- Working hours are flexible but we would request at least 1 day a week or 2 hours/week.
- Starting date: immediate
- Ending date: 9 September 2016
- SEG Wiki staff will hold webinars to train volunteers and provide support on a regular basis as needed.
SEG core values
Culture is the heart and soul of an organization’s identity. Who they are, what they aspire to become, how they want to be perceived. These represent how we should treat each other as well as how we execute here at SEG. We would request our volunteers to aspire to these core values.
- Integrity – acting with honesty and purpose. We hold each other accountable, act with conviction, and speak truthfully.
- Service – working to help others. Whether working with others inside or outside the organization, we are a service organization and will get the job done.
- Respect – treating everyone with dignity. Regardless of our job description, department, or company, everyone here is on the same mission and should be treated with respect and dignity.
- Teamwork – collaborating for shared success. If we don’t work together, we won’t see success. Success requires teamwork! We don’t assign blame, but work to solve the problem and help prevent it from reoccurring.
- Communication – clear, consistent, and credible to everyone who is involved. What we communicate and to whom is equally as important.
About the SEG Wiki
The SEG Wiki is publicly accessible and editable to all users registered with SEG (registration is free). The contents of the wiki are dedicated to applied geophysics and the people and technology that support it. The wiki is maintained by the SEG Wiki Committee, volunteers, and readers from all over the world.
The goal of the SEG Wiki is: to expand the world’s knowledge of applied geophysics, to provide further details of ("layer") the science itself, and to engage emerging professionals in the field. Robert E. Sheriff's Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Geophysics, fourth edition and Oz Yilmaz's Seismic Data Analysis seeded the SEG Wiki with its initial content. We encourage you to read, edit, and enhance the SEG Wiki. Add your layer to the science of applied geophysics today.
- SEG Wiki help tutorial series on YouTube
- Primary help page
- SEG Wiki cheatsheet: all the most used wiki markups on one sheet.
- The Wikipedia Adventure: an interactive tutorial that walks you through all the basics - learn by doing!
- Frequently asked questions: All the most asked wiki questions answered.