University of Edinburgh Student Chapter
The University of Edinburgh Student Chapter is based in Edinburgh, United Kingdom. It contains up to 100 undergraduate students, postgraduate students, and research staff.
The Chapter hosts SEG Distinguished and Honorary Lecturers and its own lecture series of high-profile visiting industry professionals and academics. The Chapter has a focus on innovative learning, hosting events such as interactive software tutorials delivered to students by students, and "Pints and Rock Physics", which is somewhat similar to a book club but held in a public house and discusses a different classic rock physics paper every month. The SEG chapter also has an interest and interest in the community, archaeological and humanitarian geophysics, and is always searching for novel ways to apply the skill-set of the members in foreign scenarios.
The Chapter has ties to academic and industry centers, including the Scottish Oil Club, the Edinburgh Interferometry Project (EIP), Edinburgh Anisotropy Project (EAP), International Centre for Carbonate Reservoirs (ICCR), WAVES, University of Edinburgh ArchSoc, Archaeology Scotland, and all respective members and sponsors.
The faculty advisor of the chapter is Professor Anton Ziolkowski. Professor Ziolkowski is a world-renowned geophysicist in both industry and academic circles, and was an SEG Distinguished Lecturer in 1994. In 2016 he received the prestigious EAGE Erasmus award for lifetime contribution to resource exploration. Professor Ziolkowski's contribution to international geophysics has been recognised by other notable events and awards, including being awarded the Conrad Schlumberger Award of the European Association of Exploration Geophysicists, 1982; elected Member of Hollandse Maatschappij der Wetenschappen (Dutch Society of Scientists), 1991; elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1995; appointed Guest Professor, Changchun University of Science and Technology, China, 1997; elected Member of Academia Europaea, 2000; awarded Honorary Membership of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 2015.
Volunteer role, companies or professional affiliations
- Scottish Oil Club
- Edinburgh Interferometry Project (EIP)
- Edinburgh Anisotropy Project (EAP)
- International Centre for Carbonate Reservoirs (ICCR)
Skills and interests
- Seismic Marchenko Imaging
- Frequency-dependent AVO
- Elastic wavefield propagation
- Multicomponent and VSP seismic rock physics
- Experimental and theoretical 4D rock physics
- Anisotropy characterisation
- Pre-salt imaging and rock physics
- Seismic tomography across multiple bandwidths
- Statistics-driven earthquake prediction
- Archaeological geophysics
2016 Committee members
- President : Phil Cilli (PhD Candidate: Seismic Rock Physics)
- Vice President : Dom Cummings (PhD Candidate: Seismic Imaging)
- Secretary : Alyssa Crippen (PhD Candidate: Seismic Tomography)
- Treasurer : Stephanie Earp (PhD Candidate: Seismic Tomography)
- Vice-Secretary: Carlos Alberto da Costa Filho (PhD Candidate: Seismic Imaging)