The SEG Wiki is a publicly accessible, publicly editable wiki to all SEG registered users about applied geophysics and the people and technology that support and develop the field. The wiki is maintained by the SEG, membership, registered users, and readers from all over the world.
The goal of the SEG Wiki is: to expand the world’s knowledge of applied geophysics, to provide further details of ("layer") the science itself, and to engage emerging professionals in the field. Robert E. Sheriff's Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Geophysics, fourth edition and Oz Yilmaz's Seismic Data Analysis seeded the SEG Wiki with its initial content. We encourage you to read, edit, and enhance the SEG Wiki. Add your layer to the science of applied geophysics today.
Overview of content
SEG's bestselling Robert E. Sheriff's Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Geophysics, fourth edition seeded the SEG Wiki with its initial content. This is a valuable, comprehensive reference that is a must for every geophysicist, geologist, explorationist, engineer, energy adviser, economist, and student involved in the field. Seismic Data Analysis, SEG’s highest grossing book, was added shortly thereafter.
- Visit your User page — you can do whatever you like there, it's your personal space.
- Get help with editing.
- Use our nifty cheatsheet to jump-start your wiki experience and make the most out of this wiki.
- See a list of all pages in the main namespace of the wiki.
- See the most recent changes to the wiki. This list is automatically generated by the MediaWiki software.
- Visit the wiki's FAQ page.
- Get tips, support, and prestige updating Seismic Data Analysis and Sheriff's Dictionary
- Update SEG's historical and current biographies
- Publish your own profile page or Student Chapter.
- List of articles to fix math equations in Sheriff's Dictionary
- Is the wiki missing geophysical-related articles or concepts? Recommend an article today!
Additional content is needed for these topics:
- Open datasets
- The basics of seismic interpretation
- Geophysics 101 entries
- Summaries of classic papers (e.g., most cited papers in GEOPHYSICS and The Leading Edge)
- Microseismic and borehole geophysics
SEG Wiki awards
Get recognized! SEG offers annual wiki awards for outstanding member, student member, and Student Chapter based on:
- Quantity and quality of contributions
- Extent by which those contributions connect others to SEG and the SEG Wiki
- Impact of contributions to the SEG Wiki
Students and the SEG Wiki
- Access to pertinent academic information
- Interact with peers, professionals, and industry leaders
- Exhibit your knowledge and showcase your skills
- Contribute your expertise
- Challenge your Student Chapter to win the SEG Wiki Award!
Find out more
Questions, concerns, requests —