Ronald Clowes received B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Alberta. During the years 1960-64, he was the holder of undergraduate scholarships awarded by the Steel Company of Canada Limited and Cominco Limited. He was the recipient of an International Nickel Graduate Research Fellowship for the terms 1966-67 and 1967-68. Mr. Clowes was a student member of the SEG and AGU.
He is Professor Emeritus in the Department of Earth & Ocean Sciences, University of British Columbia, where he has worked since joining the faculty in 1970. His research centers on multi-channel seismic reflection, seismic refraction/wide-angle reflection, and other geophysical studies of the earth’s lithosphere on land and at sea; and relation of the geophysical results to geology and tectonics. In 1987, he was appointed Director of Lithoprobe, Canada’s highly successful national geoscience project, and remained as such until the project’s conclusion in 2005. He has received many honors, among them the Order of Canada and many society awards, including honorary membership in the Canadian SEG.
Career, Honors and Awards
- B.Sc. (1964), M.Sc. (1966), Ph.D. (1969), all from University of Alberta, Edmonton
- NRC (now NSERC) Postdoctoral Fellowship, Australian National University, Canberra (1969-70)
- Faculty Member, UBC, Assistant Professor to Full Professor (1970 - 2007)
- Emeritus Professor from 2007
- Director of LITHOPROBE (1987 - 2005)
- Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal (2012)
- Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists Distinguished Lecturer (2008-09)
- Logan Medal, Geological Association of Canada (2005)
- Canada Council Killam Research Fellowship (2004-2006)
- Visiting Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (2003)
- Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal (2002)
- Member, Order of Canada (1998)
- J. Tuzo Wilson Medal, Canadian Geophysical Union (1998)
- Distinguished Lecturer Award, The Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (1997)
- Honorary Member, Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (1995)
- Distinguished Fellow, Geological Association of Canada (1995)
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (1994)
- George P. Woollard Award, Geological Society of America (1993)
- Past President`s Medal, Geological Association of Canada (1988)
- Canada Council Killam Research Fellowship (1987-88, declined)
- Best Paper Award, Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (1966, 1981)
- Best Paper Award, Geophysics (1968)
SEG Best Paper in Geophysics Award 1968
- Contributors, Geophysics, Vol. 77, No. 1, pp. Z15-Z19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1190/gpysa7.77.z15_1
- Contributors, Geophysics 33(3):545.
- Dr. R. M. Clowes homepage
- Clowes, R. M., E. R. Kanasewich, and G. L. Cumming (1969), Deep crustal seismic reflections at near-vertical incidence, Geophysics 33(3):441.