O. C. Clifford
O. C. Clifford served as the 1957-1958 SEG President.
Geophysics, Vol. XXII, No.2, April 1957
O.C. Clifford, Jr., candidate for president, received a B.S. degree in 1924 and spent the following year in graduate work, at the University of Chicago. The summer of 1924 was spent in the employ of the Illinois State Geological Survey. He was employed by Humphreys Corporation in July, 1925 on one of the first torsion balance parties in the United States. Following employment in the geophysical department of the Humble Oil and Refining Company in similar work he joined the geological staff of the Houston Oil Company in West Texas. During the next five year period he held various geological and geophysical assignments with the Indian Territory Illuminating Oil Company in the Rocky Mountain and Mid-Continent areas. His initial acquaintance with the seismograph was in 1930 as client representative on the third GSI crew to take the field. Following a short period with Seismograph Service Corporation in 1933 he was employed as control geophysicist by Continental Oil Company in 1934. In 1936 he moved to Houston as district, later regional, geophysicist for the Atlantic Refining Company. Since 1943 he has been located in Dallas as chief geophysicist for the same firm.
He has been a member of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists since 1928 and of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists since 1936. He is a member of the Dallas Geological Society; the Dallas Geophysical Society, and served as president in 1949, the year the fist regional geophysical meeting was held without the cooperation of the local geological society, and district representative in 1950, 1951, 1952. He has served on the committees for both Geophysical Case History volumes. Published articles have appeared in the Bulletin of the AAPG and in Geophysical Case Histories.