Biography 2015 
Jean Virieux, fellow of Ecole Normale Supérieure (Ulm), professor at the Université Joseph Fourier- Grenoble, and member of the Institut Universitaire de France, is a seismologist working at the Institut des Sciences de la Terre (ISTerre). He earned his PhD in "Earthquakes: rupture and waves" in 1986 at the University Denis Diderot-Paris under the supervision of Pr. R. Madariaga.
Honors and Awards
- 2015 - SEG Distinguished Lecturer, Spring 2015
- 2013 - EAGE Erasmus Award
- 2012 - Adion Medal of the Observatoire de la Côte d'Azur
- 2012 - Barrabé Award of the Société Géologique de France
- 2009 - Jaffé Grand Award of Académie des Sciences
- 2009 - Bright Spot (with is co-workers)
- 2009 - SEG Best Paper in Geophysics Award
- 2006 - EAGE Cagnaird Medal
Virieux's research is oriented to seismic-wave propagation modeling through field experiments and theoretical modeling in heterogeneous media. Traveltime tomographies based on ray theory or full-waveform inversion based on volumetric numerical methods solving elastodynamic equations allow high-resolution imaging of crustal structures (Mt. Vesuve/Italy; Corinth Gulf/Greece; Vallhall/Norway). Multiparametric reconstruction of the earth at various scales from 3D important databases is the current challenge of engineers and researchers in the framework of the consortium SEISCOPE supported by many industrial enterprises led in part by Virieux. Seismic dynamic-rupture imaging related to earthquakes has also attracted his attention (because he completed his thesis on this topic) through international collaborations and national support from the Agence Nationale de la Recherche.
Honors and Awards
- 2013 EAGE Erasmus Award
- 2012 Adion Medal
Biography 2008 
Jean Virieux has been trained (1978) at the École Normale Supérieure (Paris) in physics. He defended a French state thesis in 1986. He has been a professor at the Université de Nice Sophia-Antipolis since 1991. His main scientific interest is seismic wave propagation and related topics such as seismic source imaging and seismic structure imaging.
Best Paper in Geophysics 2008
- [SEG Distinguished Lecturer, Spring 2015 http://www.seg.org/education/lectures-courses/distinguished-lecturers/spring2015/virieux-bio]
- Contributors, GEOPHYSICS Vol. 72, No. 5, pp. SM301-SM304
- Ben-Hadj-Ali, H., Operto, S., and Virieux, J. (2008). ”Velocity model building by 3D frequency-domain, full-waveform inversion of wide-aperture seismic data.” GEOPHYSICS, 73(5), VE101–VE117. doi: 10.1190/1.2957948[http://library.seg.org/doi/pdf/10.1190/1.2957948