Geophysics 101 editor
The SEG Wiki committee and SEG staff seek volunteers with geophysical knowledge to expand the subject of geophysics on the SEG Wiki. These volunteers will ensure that content is clear, concise, accurate, and provide a basic understanding of the science. The right candidate will be willing and able to launch content around geophysical careers. More specifically, this volunteer will help explain the basics of geophysics to the public, including information related to:
- What are the basic scientific tenets of geophysics?
- What does a career in geophysics entail?
To learn more about the volunteers in the SEG Wiki project, read "Honoring volunteers and sharing knowledge on the SEG Wiki" in January 2019 The Leading Edge.
How to apply
To become a volunteer for the SEG Wiki Geophysics 101 editor, apply at the Volunteer Opportunities page. Once there follow these steps:
- Select “SEG Wiki: Geophysics 101 editor"
- Scroll through the opportunities and select “Apply Now” to the job you wish to be considered for.
- Complete the required fields and submit your application.
NOTE: If you are not logged in to the system, you will be prompted to login prior to applying.
- With guidance from the SEG Publications Outreach Manager and other Geophysics 101 editor volunteers will contribute content based on the adopt a page article
- Building off the outline on the geophysics page as well as the subject matter listed on the geophysics knowledge tree, this volunteer will help the public gain awareness and understanding of the science and industry of geophysics
- Ensure that content is clear, concise, accurate, and provide a basic understanding of the science
- Places emphasis on establishing bi-directional linking between the SEG Wiki and other SEG products and services
- Opportunity to participate and contribute at SEG meetings and events and the Wiki Committee
- Reports directly to the SEG Publications Outreach Manager
- SEG Wiki staff will hold webinars and provide in-person training as needed. Volunteers will develop skills working with Mediawiki, building pages with wikitext, and gaining a better understanding of the importance and process of citing scientific sources in launching these pages.
- Recommendation letters, networking opportunities
- Recommendations gladly provided to great volunteers (e.g., LinkedIn recommendations). You will also have the opportunity to network with other volunteers, SEG members, and the Wiki Committee.
SEG values all service and will work to ensure that volunteers receive a learning experience that fits career and learning goals.
- Self-motivated, possess good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, as well as multi-task and meet deadlines
- Can work independently and in team, has the ability to contribute in a timely manner, and able to communicate openly and effectively
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Prior Wikipedia or other online encyclopedia experience a plus
- Action orientation - pursues work with energy; perseveres especially in the face of resistance or setbacks
- Communication - provides timely information so that accurate decisions can be made; practices attentive and active listening; conveys information and ideas clearly and positively; both in oral and written communication
- Problem solving and decision making - uses sound logic and methods to solve problems and develop effective solutions; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer; makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
- Teamwork - encourages collaboration by fostering open dialogue; defines success in terms of the whole team; finds common ground and solves problems for the good of all areas of SEG; represents his/her own interests while exercising fairness to others; shares successes
- Quality of work - produces high-quality work with few errors within deadlines; uses resources effectively
Requirements and commitment
- Working hours are flexible but we request: 4 hours/month
- Starting date: immediate
- SEG Wiki staff will hold webinars to train volunteers and provide support as needed.
SEG core values
Culture is the heart and soul of an organization’s identity. Who they are, what they aspire to become, how they want to be perceived. These represent how we should treat each other as well as how we execute here at SEG. We would request our volunteers aspire to these core values.
- Integrity – acting with honesty and purpose. We hold each other accountable, act with conviction, and speak truthfully.
- Service – working to help others. Whether working with others inside or outside the organization, we are a service organization and will get the job done.
- Respect – treating everyone with dignity. Regardless of our job description, department, or company, everyone here is on the same mission and should be treated with respect and dignity.
- Teamwork – collaborating for shared success. If we don’t work together, we won’t see success. Success requires teamwork! We don’t assign blame, but work to solve the problem and help prevent it from reoccurring.
- Communication – clear, consistent, and credible to everyone who is involved. What we communicate and to whom is equally as important.
About the SEG Wiki
The SEG Wiki is publicly accessible and editable to all users registered with SEG (registration is free). The contents of the wiki are dedicated to applied geophysics and the people and technology that support it. The wiki is maintained by the SEG Wiki Committee, volunteers, and readers from all over the world.
The goal of the SEG Wiki is: to expand the world’s knowledge of applied geophysics, to provide further details of ("layer") the science itself, and to engage emerging professionals in the field. Robert E. Sheriff's Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Geophysics, fourth edition and Oz Yilmaz's Seismic Data Analysis seeded the SEG Wiki with its initial content. We encourage you to read, edit, and enhance the SEG Wiki. Add your layer to the science of applied geophysics today.
- SEG Wiki help tutorial series on YouTube
- Primary help page
- SEG Wiki cheatsheet: all the most used wiki markups on one sheet.
- The Wikipedia Adventure: an interactive tutorial that walks you through all the basics - learn by doing!
- Frequently asked questions: All the most asked wiki questions answered.