Best Paper in Geophysics Award
The Best Paper in Geophysics is selected by the Editor for consideration as a candidate for the award. Recognized minimum requirements are permanent interest, form and readability, and potential for the advancement of the geophysical profession.
SEG members may open the PDF of a paper by clicking on the paper's title. SEG Wiki contributors are in the process of changing to the permalink of the article to allow wiki users to select which platform to view the article – the SEG Digital Library or GeoScienceWorld. The abstract is available after choosing a platform, regardless of member status.
Clicking on an author's name will open the biography page of that author, if it exists (blue). Names in red indicate biography pages still to be added.
Return to SEG Honors and Awards.
Best Papers in Geophysics 1947-present
- 2012 3D edge detection seismic attributes used to map potential conduits for water and methane in deep gold mines in the Witwatersrand basin, South Africa, Musa Doctor Manzi, Raymond Durrheim, Kim A. A. Hein, Nick King
- 2011 Investigation of injection-induced seismicity using a coupled fluid flow and rate/state friction model,Mark McClure, Roland N. Horne
- 2010 Oscillating oil drops, resonant frequencies, and low-frequency passive seismology,Michael K. Broadhead
- 2009 Role of the inhomogeneity angle in anisotropic attenuation analysis, Jyoti Behura and Ilya Tsvankin
- 2008 Velocity model building by 3D frequency-domain, full-waveform inversion of wide-aperture seismic data, Hafedh Ben-Hadj-Ali, Stéphane Operto, and Jean Virieux
- 2007 Field tests of electroseismic hydrocarbon detection, Arthur H. Thompson, Scott C. Hornbostel, James S. Burns, Thomas J. Murray, Robert Raschke, John C. Wride, Paul Z. McCammon, John R. Sumner, Greg Haake, Mark Bixby, Warren S. Ross, Benjamin S. White, Minyao Zhou, and Pawel Peczak
- 2006 Green's function representations for seismic interferometry,Kees Wapenaar and Prof. Jacob T. Fokkema
- 2005 Theory of true-amplitude one-way wave equations and true-amplitude common-shot migration, Yu Zhang, Guanquan Zhang, and Norman Bleistein
- 2004 ''Experimental design: Electrical resistivity data sets that provide optimum subsurface information, Peter Stummer, Hansruedi Maurer, and Alan G. Green
- 2003 A new sea-floor gravimeter, Glenn S. Sasagawa, Wayne C. Crawford, Ola Eiken, Scott Nooner, Torkjell Stenvold and Mark A. Zumberge
- 2002 'Characterization of fluid transport properties of reservoirs using induced anisotropy,' Serge A. Shapiro, Elmar Rothert, Volker Rath, and Jan Rindschwentner
- 2001 Discrimination between pressure and fluid saturation changes from time-lapse seismic data, Martin Landrø
- 1998 3-D seismic attributes using a semblance-based coherency algorithm, Kurt J. Marfurt, Steven L. Farmer, Rodney Lynn Kirlin, and Michael S. Bahorich
- 1997 Automatic conversion of magnetic data to depth, dip, and susceptibility contrast using the SPI (TM)! method, Jeffrey B. Thurston and Richard S. Smith
- 1996 Effects of salt-related mode conversions on subsalt prospecting, Jeffrey S. Ogilvie and Guy W. Purnell
- 1995 Integrated reservoir characterization: Beyond tomography, Larry R. Lines, Henry Tan, Sven Treitel, John Beck, Richard L. Chambers, John Eager, Charles Savage, John Queen, William D. Rizer, Paul L. Buller, V. Dale Cox, John B. Sinton, James H. Ballard, George F. Kokkoros, Antoine Track, Philippe Guerendel, Jerry Harris, Spyros K. Lazaratos, and Mark A. Van Schaack.
- 1991 Sources of aeromagnetic anomalies over Cement oil field (Oklahoma), Simpson oil field (Alaska), and the Wyoming-Idaho-Utah thrust belt, R. L. Reynolds, N. S. Fishman, and M. R. Hudson
- 1990 Analysis of conventional and converted mode reflections at Putah Sink, California using three-component data, Clint W. Frasier and Don Winterstein
- 1987 Three-dimensional seismic monitoring of an enhanced oil recovery process, R. J. Greaves and T. J. Fulp
- 1985 Direct hydrocarbon detection using comparative P-wave and S-wave seismic sections, James D. Robertson and William C. Pritchett
- 1984 A time-domain electromagnetic system measuring the step-response of the ground, G. F. West, J. C. Macnae, and Y. Lamontagne
- 1983 Analysis of seismic data using horizontal cross-sections, M. R. Bone, B. F. Giles, and E. R. Tegland
- 1982 Field development with three-dimensional seismic methods in the Gulf of Thailand: A case history, C. G. Dahm and Robert J. Graebner
- 1981 The airborne electromagnetic discovery of the Detour zinc-copper-silver deposit Northwestern Quebec, Laurie E. Reed
- 1980 Channel wave mapping of coal seams in the United Kingdom, Iain M. Mason, David J. Buchanan, and Anthony K. Booer
- 1979 Magnetotellurics with a remote magnetic reference, Thomas D. Gamble, Wolfgang M. Goubau, and John Clarke
- 1978 Mineral discrimination and removal of inductive coupling with multifrequency induced-polarization, W. H. Pelton, S. H. Ward, P. G. Hallof, W. R. Sill, and P. H. Nelson
- 1976 Residual static analysis as a general linear inverse problem, Ralph A. Wiggins, Ken Larner, and Robert D. Wisecup
- 1974 Effect of water saturation on seismic reflectivity of sand reservoirs encased in shale,[S. N. Domenico]]
- 1968 Deep crustal seismic reflections at near-vertical incidence, R. M. Clowes, E. R. Kanasewich, and G. L. Cumming
- 1966 The development and use of a high-precision downhole gravity-meter, Lynn G. Howell, K. O. Heintz, and A. Barry
- 1965 Velocity and frequency filtering of seismic data using laser light, Milton B. Dobrin, Arthur L. Ingalls, and James A. Long
- 1963 Standard curves for interpretation of magnetic anomalies over long tabular bodies, S. Parker Gay Jr.
- 1960 Wave-front charts and three-dimensional migrations, J. M. Crawford, W. E. N. Doty, and M. R. Lee
- 1955 The synthesis of seismograms from well log data, R. A. Peterson, W. R. Fillippone, and F. B. Coker
- no award