This article outlines all you need to start contributing to the SEG Wiki. If you would like one-on-one help, please contact us.
Ten things you can do
Insider tip: SEG Wiki cheatsheet: all the most used wiki markups on one sheet.
- Read it — find a page or category that interests you, and start exploring the content 
- Edit it — check out these common editing tasks and frequently asked questions
- Share it — like most of the web, wikis need to be shared to survive. When you find something useful, share it and tag us @SEGWiki.
- Add a profile — after becoming a registered user of SEG, add some info about yourself.
- Add a sandbox — add [[/Sandbox/]] to your user page (see #4), save page and then click on the red link that appears. Try some editing - you can do anything you like here and it does not impact the content on the main wiki.
- Fix equations — most of the equations in the SEG Encyclopedic Dictionary are poorly formatted. If you know LaTeX or CodeCogs, you can help fix them. Here's one that's been fixed. This is the full list of articles that need fixed.
- Add references — just like technical papers, wikis need citations and references if they are to be useful and trusted. Most articles in SEG Wiki have citations, but the references are on another page. Here's one that has been fixed. Here are ones that need to be fixed: here, here, and here.
- Add a figure — again, the figures are mostly divorced from their articles. The Q article shows one way to integrate them. Some articles have lots of figures. This one needs fixed.
- Improve the knowledge tree — this page outlines the main articles in the geosciences. Add 1-2 sentences for each item, outlining its role within geosciences.
- Add an article OR your Student Chapter — this may seem like a big step, but don't be shy. Be bold! Go to the knowledge tree or the recommended articles page and click one of the red links to get started. Or, visit the Student Chapter help page to learn how to add your own Chapter. Check out an article template to start building your page now.
Note: We have recently updated the SEG Wiki and the look of the new site does not match the videos. All of the information is still relevant; however, instead of using the "Edit" tab, click on the "Edit source" tab.
General wiki help
- The wiki help video series aims to provide you with the skills necessary to start contributing. Help videos on launching your own user page, growing articles in our biographies section, and advanced tutorials on improving Sheriff's Dictionary now available. Future videos are planned, so bookmark the playlist!
- The Wikipedia Adventure: an interactive tutorial that walks you through all the basics - learn by doing!
- Frequently asked questions: All the most asked wiki questions answered.
- SEG Wiki primer: learn your way around the SEG Wiki and start contributing.
- Using Wikipedia to add content to the SEG Wiki
- Ten ways to make a difference. Matt Hall. Agile* Geoscience. This list originated from the Agile* blog.