The SEG Wiki - An Encyclopedia for Applied Geophysics
Welcome to the Society of Exploration Geophysicists' Wiki. Our intent is to provide a living document that will grow and improve with input from the membership of SEG. Just like Wikipedia, any SEG member can make changes to the content contained on the SEG Wiki. Users are encouraged to read, verify, and improve the SEG Wiki to the best of their knowledge.
Robert E. Sheriff's Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Geophysics, fourth edition seeded the SEG Wiki with its initial content. While this information originated in a tried and true print source, all entries in the SEG Wiki can be and are encouraged to be modified, updated, and improved.
- Learn more about the SEG Wiki on our help pages.
- See a list of all pages in the main part of the wiki, look at the list of All Pages. These are the pages that are not in the Dictionary.
- See the most recent changes to the wiki on the Recent Changes page. This list is generated automatically by the wiki software.
- Begin improving the SEG Wiki now!
The SEG Wiki Biographies has 233 unique biographies of geophysicists, many of whom are pioneers in the development of exploration geophysics technology. Additionally, all of the SEG presidents have been added. Support this effort by adding pictures, content, or help edit the existing entries!
This page documents geophysical data that is readily available for download from the internet, via mail, or through special request, including the SEG Advanced Modeling Corporation (SEAM). Key parts of the data documentation are:
- a descriptive overview of the data including types of data available
- how to obtain a copy of the data
- how to obtain other support data
- links to publications
The SEG is publishing an increasing number of tutorials in subjects related to exploration geophysics. The second tutorial will be published shortly.
- Smoothing surfaces and attributes — February 2014
Visit the Bulletin Board to acknowledge, thank, and appreciate the SEG Wiki contributors and volunteers! In addition, ask any questions you may have to the SEG Wiki community to get personalized support!